Questions to Ask Your Doctor…
Being diagnosed with breast cancer can be overwhelming and you may not know where to start. Just know that all of your questions are important! There are no dumb questions, and you can ask them as many times as you need to until you feel comfortable understanding the facts. Don’t know where to start? Here are some questions to ask when you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
Top Questions to Ask Your Doctor at Your Next Visit
- What type of breast cancer do I have?
- What is the size of my tumor?
- What is the grade and stage of this disease? What does this mean?
- What is HER2 status? What does this mean
- Do I need more tests to find out if there is cancer anywhere else in my body?
- Do I need other treatment, like chemo or hormonal therapy?
- What are my options for treatment?
- What treatment plan do you recommend? Why?
- What are the potential side effects of each treatment?
- What can I do to get ready for treatment?
- How will the chosen treatment affect my daily life?
- Should I make any lifestyle changes?
- Do you recommend any changes to my diet or nutritional supplements?
Things to Remember Before Your Doctor’s Visit
Before you meet with your oncologist write all your questions down, so you don’t forget what you wanted to ask. While these questions are a good starting point if you seem lost or don’t know what to ask, feel free to bring your own questions and concerns to each and every doctor’s visit on your journey.
Your oncology team is there to help you thrive and should be there to address every question and concern you have about your breast cancer diagnosis. For a list of questions to ask your doctor including the ones above and more helpful tips and guidance on breast cancer download The Breast Cancer Charities of America’s Create Wellness booklet from our website.