Detox…it’s a trendy word out in the health/diet sector. You hear about detox cleanses with juices, with apple cider vinegar and with all sorts of things. Detoxes where you just drink liquids for 3+ days…detox detox detox. Do not get me wrong, I’m NOT against this approach to detoxing as it works great for some people. But for me, doing a liquid cleanse just isn’t my cup of tea. I like food and I like to eat…not going to lie. So, drinking liquids for a week sounds like pure torture and one ‘hangry’ person. But did you know there foods that can help with naturally detoxifying your body?
I like to eat clean and naturally detoxify my body with the food I feed it…getting rid of all the processed foods that make me feel sluggish and replacing with all things clean. THAT type of a detox nourishes my body, puts me back on track, but doesn’t torment me.
How can you get started on a natural foodie based detox? Let me share how I got started…my approach was a clean eating challenge: I’ll go 3 days without eating processed and refined foods and replace it with a mixture of the list below of great detoxifying foods. Done! Well, 3 days went by and it was a piece of cake, so I thought, I’ll do this for the whole work week-5 days. Next thing you knew, I was at day 5 and I thought, let’s just make it a week while we’re on this bandwagon. And I did. My energy soared, my aches seemed less, I was sleeping better at night and my body just felt clean.
Today, I will tell you that I eat ‘clean’ and with a detox mindset 85+% of the time on a day to day basis merely because my body feels 100 times better when I eat these foods. I don’t approach my means to eating as a short-term fix or 3-5 day cleanse/detox, I see it as a lifestyle now.
Hopefully by now you’re thinking, ok, I’m a foodie too, I want my energy levels to increase, I want to nourish my body with healthy things…let’s get started! GREAT! So let’s get you started with a list of some of my favorite natural detoxifying foods. DISCLAIMER: You may be shocked at how many delicious great foods are on this list. No, you can’t go eat the entire container (moderation is key in this too) and you can’t buy the chocolate covered blueberries and count them on the detox, HOWEVER, keep your mindset on how many delicious foods there are here and you may be shocked at how full you feel and how energized your body will become!
Top 20 Favorite Naturally Detoxifying Foods:
- Water!!And more water (cut ALL the soda, sugary drinks pronto!)
- Garlic: (ya’ll, this does some wonders mixed with turmeric!)
- Turmeric: (you can NOT taste this yellow-colored herb…don’t panic when it changes the color of your food, but it’s such a healer!)
- Lemon: (squeeze some onto broccoli with a little garlic and turmeric and steam…delicious!)
- Blueberries: (where I have to make sure I limit myself as I could eat a whole container)
- Ginger: (ask my husband, I’d eat a spoonful a day…definitely a strong flavor but mixed appropriately can turn a dish into something amazing—again mix with garlic & turmeric!)
- Cilantro: chop on top of your favorite salad or veggie (herbs make great clean additions to flavoring your foods naturally)
- Spinach: (turn it into a salad a day with some healthy nuts and vinegar & olive oil as a dressing)
- Eggs: (my fav: hard boil and cut up on a spinach salad)
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts and pecans are some of the healthiest
- Seeds: unsalted pumpkin, sunflower, chia are amazing sources of Omega3’s and fiber
- Coffee: believe it or not it can be good for you—no, not your Caramel Macchiato, but just coffee derived and brewed from the bean
- Artichokes: steam with lemon and garlic and a dash of salt-simply amazing
- Kidney Beans: wonderful on top of salads for protein source