As I thought about what recipes to include in this blog for you all, I said to myself “I want to share healthy, different and delicious recipes” because once in a while (especially during special days and holidays) I like to enjoy food that is still healthy, yet feels like I am eating from my favorite restaurant meals. Plus, who said healthy couldn’t be tasty and made possible at home?!
For all of you who want to impress or have a nice cooking dinner date with your honey or special friend this Valentine’s day coming up and are still wondering what to cook, I’ve got you covered with three different tasty, healthy, and allergy free recipes! Whether if it is because you chose the vegetarian or restricted dietary lifestyle or because it chose you, we can all also enjoy these delicious recipes!
I know that there is so many great recipes out there and choosing the right one can be hardest thing to do, especially if it is for your next romantic at home dinner date. But don’t worry, I’ve created three (one which is my personal favorite and original family recipe) different recipes to help you recreate some of your favorite restaurant meals. Regardless of your plans of hosting a surprise dinner date or maybe cooking together for an at home dinner date here are some appetizing and healthy recipe options to consider!
Gluten, Grain + Dairy Free Green Chicken Enchilada
Craving a healthier version of your favorite Mexican restaurant? I created this authentic and traditional Mexican dish when I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that cursed me with a variety of food allergies. Food has always been a big part of my life and culture so, I needed to find a way to still enjoy traditional dishes while staying healthy. These gluten, grain, and dairy free green chicken enchiladas is my ultimate creation. They are the perfect level of spicy, flavorful, and fulfilling! They are sure to leave you craving for more!
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 1-hour Servings: 2
- 1 chicken breast
For the tortillas (makes 6)-
- 96g of cassava flour
- ¼ tsp of Himalayan Salt (optional!)
- 2-2 ½ tbsp of olive oil
- 2/3 cups of water (it can be warm or tempt room water)
For the green sauce:
- 4-6 green tomatillos (add up to 6 depending on the size of the tomatillo)
- 1 whole Jalapeno (optional!)
- 1 garlic clove
- A pinch of cumin, black pepper, and oregano
- Himalayan salt (as desired)
- ½ cup of water
To top it off:
- Follow your heart: Parmesan style shredded Dairy Free Cheese
- Chopped onions
If using chicken…
- Defrost one chicken breast several hours before prepping.
- Once chicken is defrosted, place it on a pot along with the 2-3 cups of water to boil for 1 hour
- Once cooked, shred the chicken
Important: Save the chicken broth to the side as it will be used to blend the sauce ingredients later.
- Pour the shredded chicken in a clean pot and prepare green sauce to boil together later.
For the sauce:
- Mix in the green tomatillos, jalapeno, and half a cup of water and boil for about 5mins
- Once boiled, throw out the water used for this step (be careful)!
- Blending time! Throw in the all the green sauce ingredients (including the cooked tomatillos and jalapeno) into the blender along with 1 ½ cups of your chicken broth that you saved from cooking the chicken breast earlier, and blend until you have reached a desired consistency (I recommend at least 2-3 mins).
- Pour green sauce into a clean bowl to use once tortillas are ready.
If you choose to use chicken: mix the green sauce and shredded chicken together and let it boil until desired consistency. (The longer you let it boil, the less watery it will be).
For the tortillas:
- Mix in all the ingredients needed into a bowl. Knead until dough is smooth (you want it just right, not too sticky or dry)
- Divide the dough into 6 balls
- Heat a dry skillet over medium high heat (do this a about 5-10 mins before you start step 3 to allow skillet to properly heat and avoid dough sticking to it).
- Use a tortilla press or roller to flattened out the dough into a thin circle. (tip: put dough balls in between two pieces of parchment paper to avoid it sticking to the tortilla press).
- Place the tortilla on the skillet. After 1:30 mins, flip the tortilla and repeat the process. Both sides should look slightly spotted browned.
- Place tortillas on a plate to allow cooling before serving.
- Roll out tortillas into a plate and add green sauce OR Chicken Green sauce on top. (I personally like to add some of the green sauce inside the tortilla before rolling it to give it that extra flavor 😊).
- Add all your favorite toppings: Cheese, chopped onion, and lettuce.
Gluten, Grain and Dairy Free Turkey Meat Quesadillas
Recreate your favorite restaurant quesadilla meal with this delicious turkey meat (or vegetarian) quesadilla! Making this meal at home will not only cost you less, but it will be fresher and filled with healthier filling options.
Prep time: 15minutes Cook time: 30minutes Serving: 2 servings
Vegetarian option: any veggie or bean to use a filler!
- 12-16 oz of 90% lean, 10% fat ground Turkey Meat
- black pepper
- Himalayan Salt
- 1 cup of fresh spinach
- 4 Siete almond flour tortillas
- SO Dairy free Mexican Blend cheese
- Marinate your ground turkey meat using a desired amount of black pepper and Himalayan salt.
- Cook your ground turkey meat over medium high for 30 minutes
- Pre-heat a skillet using medium-high temperature and place the tortilla on skillet, letting one side cook until slightly golden
- Add SO dairy free Mexican blend cheese, fresh spinach, and your cooked ground turkey meat (veggies or beans for the vegetarian option) onto the cooked side of the tortilla and fold in half to cook the uncooked side.
- Let quesadilla cool and enjoy!
Chicken, Mushroom + Veggie Bowl
Who doesn’t love a delicious, yet inexpensive nutritious bowl? This chicken, mushroom and veggie bowl is not only easy to make, but packed with healthy nutrients. For a recipe like this, Ingredients can easily be subtitled or added to make it your own!
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 35-40mins Servings: 2
- 1 chicken breast
- Himalayan Salt
- Black Pepper
- 5 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Red pepper deseed and sliced
- 1 Yellow Pepper deseed and sliced
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1 whole chopped avocado
- 4-6oz of sliced mushrooms
- Cut defrosted chicken breast into small chunks, season with Himalayan salt and black pepper, and preheat a skillet over medium high.
- Add olive oil onto the skillet and cook chicken chunks for about 35-40 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, slice or chop all of your remaining ingredients. Add a small amount of olive oil on a griddle and have the peppers and onions cook together for 5 minutes.
- Divide portions into two bowls, add in your fresh spinach as the base and place the chicken chunks, cooked peppers, and onions on to. Don’t forget the chopped avocado!