It can be so easy to get caught up in the busyness of everyday life and the endless lists that need to be done. Practicing self-care on the regular though is a huge priority we all need to learn to schedule in. Find out the top 12 ways to practice self-care on a daily basis to help improve your stress levels and become overall happier.
I’m guilty of having an extensive to-do list even though I come home and plop on the couch like that list doesn’t exist. It can be so hard sometimes to find the motivation after a long day at work to take the time I need for myself. Even though I know I need to exfoliate my face or do a deep clean in my closet, I always tend to put those things I SHOULD be doing off because I’d rather just sit on the couch and binge watch another episode of Riverdale.
Putting these things off though typically causes me some form of stress or anxiety, which ultimately is killer for your health. Stress is one of the most manageable lifestyle factors that can cause illnesses and diseases such as breast cancer, so to say I need to work hard on eliminating this stressor from my life would be an understatement. Eliminating this kind of stress from your life can improve so much within your life, such as improving your sleep, increasing your productivity and overall happiness.
So, on that note, here’s to committing to consistently practicing self-care on a daily basis. Here are some daily self-care practices that you should try and implement into your daily routine that can have a big-time impact on your mental and physical health! Don’t be afraid to make time to show yourself some love!
- Spend a little extra time on how you look. It’s something small, but it can boost your confidence and happiness to instantly make you feel better!
- Be active & get moving! Not only is being physically active good for your health, but it’s great for your mental health too. Being able to push yourself in the gym even when you don’t have the motivation can be exactly what you need to feel empowered!
- Positive talk. We all too often talk negatively about things on our body or certain things about ourselves. Let’s make it a mission to replace those with positive affirmations, you’d be surprised at how much this can boost your self-esteem.
- Take some ‘ME’ time. It’s important to do something to make yourself happy and just something that you truly enjoy. Whether it’s getting a mani/pedi, or sitting down and reading a good book, be sure to incorporate some ‘ME’ time into your day to decompress.
- Buy yourself flowers. Buying yourself flowers can bring a sense of brightness to your day. Flowers give life and color to your space, and we don’t always need a man to bring these. We work hard and should treat ourselves!
- Connect with your inner self. We all have a set schedule throughout the week. Eat, sleep, work, repeat. We all tend to identify ourselves with the roles we play in our day-to-day lives, but it’s important to take the time to really get to know your inner self and what your values are. Take some time and grab a journal or meditate to really connect with your inner self.
- Allow yourself to feel. Life is hard and sometimes you just need to express your frustration. Crying or screaming isn’t something you should be ashamed of but should embrace. It allows you to stay in touch with your emotions and really feel all the feels. Life is hard, plain and simple.
- Clear your mind. When life gets crazy, it’s easy to have a million plus things on your mind that can make you feel stressed or overwhelmed. Sometimes taking a walk with yourself is just what you need to clear that space and be able to think more clearly.
- Have a good laugh. What’s the fun in always being serious? I know I always need to laugh throughout my day to be sure that I stay sane. Call up a friend and talk or put on a comedy/chick flick movie and laugh it up! After all, laughter is the bed medicine.
- De-clutter your space. If you’re like me then things can get messy and fast! Clutter can really stress me out when it gets to the extreme (which it often does), be sure to take the time to really organize those spaces when needed.
- Take a bubble bath. Grab one of your favorite Lush bath bombs and just soak the worries away. Enough said.
- Unplug. In this day and age, it is all too easy to get distracted by your phone, tablet, or TV and not even realize how many hours you’ve been mindlessly scrolling. Unplug from time to time, and act like those things don’t exist. It feels great to take some time to yourself away from distraction