Friends gather ’round. What you are about to witness is the marriage of a classic summer s’more (graham cracker, chocolate, and marshmallow) with a little bit of peanut butter thrown in for good measure. I don’t know, maybe it’s wrong? Putting peanut butter with a s’more? In which case I don’t even want to be right.
#TBT that time (my current life) when Cheat Day became Cheat Week became Cheat Summer. Send help NOW! No, I’m joking. These are not going to sabotage your healthy summer eating – think of all the other good things you’ll be filling your belly with this summer. Baked beans, because they must be healthy because they are baked! Roasted corn covered in mayonnaise and parmesan cheese with a splash of hot sauce, oh yeah, that what I’m talking about! Lol
These s’mores bars are just going to do one of the following:
- Make you very, very popular at your next summer party
- Make your regular Thursdays and Mondays and Wednesdays a little more exciting – #selfcare
- Make you a s’mores-loving all-around happy camper… without camping!
The base of these bars, and the only thing you’ll need to make from scratch, is the graham cookie dough. Hello, yes, GRAHAM COOKIE DOUGH.
It is as good as it sounds. You’re basically making a regular cookie dough (butter, eggs, flour, that sort of thing) but adding in some crushed graham crackers at the end.
If you can resist these, you are tougher than tough. Also, you are probably not alive.
With their gooey marshmallow layer and thick chocolate base and surrounding buttery graham-loaded cookie situation, there is just so much love to go around. So. Much. Love.
So this is how we do it (singing the song), you will need these items:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 graham crackers, crushed into crumbs
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 4-ounce chocolate bars (the extra big, extra thick size)
- 1 7-ounce jar of marshmallow crème
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cookie Base: Beat the butter and sugar. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the graham cracker crumbs.
- Make a top layer: Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment and press 1/2 of the dough into the bottom of the pan. Lift out the parchment with the dough on it and set it aside – this will be your top cookie layer.
- Assembly: Line again with parchment and press the remaining dough into the bottom of the pan. Layer with the chocolate bars, peanut butter, marshmallow creme, and top cookie layer.
- Bake: Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool completely for best serving results.
For best serving (i.e. the cleanest slices), I recommend chilling in the fridge overnight. They hold together really nicely and cut into very clean bars when completely cool. The bars pictured here have been resting at room temperature for a few hours which is why the marshmallow creme looks awesomely gooey. Also delicious, just a little harder to eat.
While the peanut butter is optional, it does make these bars pretty next-level. I’ve used both smooth and crunchy in this recipe. Melting the peanut butter makes it a little easier to spread over the chocolate, and if your peanut butter gets mixed in with the marshmallow creme, that’s totally fine.