Keep your breakfast healthy & exciting
We’ve all heard our mother’s say, “eat breakfast, it’s the most important meal of the day,” probably dozens of times in our lives. However, a little-known fact from the Statistic Brain Research Institute shows that 93% of American’s truly do believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day, in which 12% of those breakfast meals include eggs.
So why does this all truly matter? Many studies show not only the importance of eating breakfast but having protein included in your breakfast to help start off your day. And when it comes to talking about breast cancer prevention and survivorship, eggs are not only a great source of protein (which is top in a balanced healthy diet) but they also are a great source of vitamins and minerals such a choline and selenium that are great immune system supporters.
However, if you’re sitting there reading this thinking: the last thing I want are some boring scrambled eggs with cheese, then look no further! Below I’m sharing my 8 favorite egg scrambles to jump start my day:
- Avocado Lovers Unite: So if you’re like me, I’m OBSESSED with avocados (and all their health benefits too—from better skin to great healthy fats!) I don’t like avocados cooked in my eggs, however put a twist on an old time fav: eggs (which for all of these recipes I typically use organic free range brown eggs and will use 2 eggs: one with the yoke, one without the yoke to keep my fat intake within my daily reason) + feta cheese + chopped up fresh basil…top with salsa and half of a sliced avocado! SO GOOD.
- Meat Lovers: I love some good bacon or sausage but know that it’s not the best for me…so I opt for turkey sausage, turkey bacon and then will treat myself to some sliced ham from the deli to add in. Mix with some cheddar cheese and you won’t be sorry (a fav for my husband too!)
- Veggie Deluxe: Mix mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, feta cheese, cheddar cheese, and eggs. (And any additional veggies you may love!)
- Loaded Potato: Don’t laugh but if you have a baked potato the night before for dinner and happen to have leftovers…literally chop up your leftovers and throw it in the pan with eggs. It’s like ‘home fries’ in your eggs!
- Spicy Spicy: One of my husband’s favorites: diced up jalapenos, peppered ham from the deli, onions, jalapeno jack cheese and red peppers. Be ready for your sinuses to be cleaned out!
- Herbs & Cheese: When you’re in the mood for just a mild twist on the ‘norm’ I’ll use fresh chives, a flavored feta cheese and salt and pepper. It’s enough of a twist without being boring.
- Tuscan Scramble: Spinach, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, olives (if you like), onions and yellow bell pepper.
- Protein Plus: When I know I’m going to need an extra boost of protein, I love these: mushrooms, turkey sausage, onions, feta cheese, cheddar cheese, eggs and top with avocado. It sounds like the kitchen sink, but it tastes wonderful
So next time you’re in a breakfast morning ‘rut’, dig out one of these recipes to whip up a quick egg dish. Another fun way to make these quicker in the morning is to turn them into egg muffins by baking them in a muffin tin holder and merely having to pop them into the microwave in the morning; or, try baking them in casserole form for the whole family!
Serve up with a side of fresh fruit and a whole grain piece of toast and you’re on your way to a healthy day!